Have you ever thought about how beautiful the world will be: if there will be a full stop on the noise pollution. People who lost their voice in an accident or dumb by birth can be listened to without speaking or people staying permanently/ temporarily in noisy areas will not require to speak louder and louder to make themselves understandable.
These necessities of making the environment a better place to live in became the mother of invention “Silent sound Technology”.
Silent Sound Technology is the technology that helps you to transmit information without using your vocal cords. This technology aims to notice the lip movement and pass on them into a computer-generated sound that can be transmitted over the phone. Hence, the person on the other hand of the phone receives the information in the audio.
- Image processing
The sound technology uses electromyography for monitoring tiny muscular movements that occur when we speak. It monitors signals and converts these signals into electrical pulses that can be turned into speech without a sound uttered. Electromyography sensors attached to the face detect the electric potential generated by muscle cells when these cells are electrically and neurologically active, decodes the produced electric signals, compare them with pre-recorded signal patterns of spoken words and when it matches the sound is transmitted to the other side will hear those spoken words.
Working of electromyography
- A needle contained two fine-wired electrodes are inserted through the skin into the muscle tissue.
- Normal muscles at rest make certain, normal electrical sounds when the needle is inserted into them. Then the electrical activity when the muscle is at rest is observed.
- Each electrode track gives only a very local picture of the activity of the whole muscle because skeletal muscle differs in the inner structure. The electrode has to be placed at various locations to obtain an accurate signal.
Thus, by this way the speech can be communicated without sound.
2. Image Processing
It is a form of signal processing for which the input is taken as an image such as a photograph or video film. And the output of image processing can either be an image or a set of characteristics or parameters related to the image. In silent sound technology, the output of the image processing is an audio record.
There are two types of image processing technique:
i. Analog image processing
This technique is applied to hard copy data such as photographs or print-outs. It adopts certain elements of interpretation such as primary elements, special arrangements, etc.
ii. Digital image processing
It involves the connection of techniques for the manipulation of digital images by computers.
- The military can use it for communicating secret/confidential matters to others.
- Astronauts can also use it for communication in space.
- It will help people who have lost their voice(dumb) due to illness or accident.
- And we can make silent calls even if we are standing in a crowded place.
- This device presently needs nine leads to be attached to our face which is quite impractical and hard to make usable.
- Translational into the majority of languages but for a language such as Chinese different to holds a different meaning, the facial movement being the same.
- From a security point of view recognizing “from whom you are talking to” gets complicated.
- You will always feel like you are talking to a robot because of the computerized voice.